There are a number of ways to reduce energy costs, but one of the most efficient ways to save on energy costs, before you even use anything inside your home, is to ensure that you have an energy efficient roof. A lot of people try to find ways to save on energy costs by focusing on the inside of the home, not realizing that the roof is just as important, and may even save you more on energy! Conventional roofing is the standard roofing when building a house. The combination of technology and science has paved the way for homes and buildings constructed to be outfitted with cool roofing using cool roof paint, reflective roof coatings, and energy efficient roof shingles, resulting into hundreds of dollars saved annually in energy costs.
Types of Roofs
It does not mean that if you have a conventional roofing already installed, you won’t be able to save on energy costs. These are types of roofs and how you can save on energy costs:
- For Low-Sloped Roofs, you can use reflective marble chips or gray slag for dark gravel. You can also use reflective mineral granules or a factory-applied coating. Apply a cool coating directly on top of a dark asphaltic emulsion coating, use modified bitumen sheet membranes which can also be used to surface a built-up roof, pre-coat with a cool roof coating, spray polyurethane foam by mixing two liquid chemicals together. Protective coatings are reflective and provide the cool roof performance you need.
- Most Steep-Sloped Roofs are composed of shingle roofs which consist of overlapping panels usually made from wood, fiberglass asphalt, metals and polymer. To turn it into a cool roof, use asphalt shingles which provide better solar reflectance although this is not normally recommended by shingle manufacturers. Coating can also be done at the factory or in the field. For tile roofs, which are usually made of clay, slate, or concrete, are glazed for waterproofing. Surface treatment provides more cooling.
- Low and Steep Sloped Roofs composed of metal roofs which can either have natural metallic finishes, granular coated surfaces, or oven-baked paint finishes, and are unpainted, are actually great solar reflectors but are not really good thermal emitters. Painting the roof or applying cool reflective coatings provide the requirements for a cool roof.
Benefits of Energy Efficient Roofing
These are great options if you have a standard roof in place, but there are times that converting and existing a standard roof to a cool roof might be more expensive as costs may include repair, recoating, and cleaning. While installing a new cool roof will require specialized materials and labor cost, it might be best for those who do not mind completely changing their roof. Either way, you will reap the benefits of an efficient roofing system which includes the following:
- The temperature of the heat is reduced by up to 60 degrees; therefore, the interior temperature lowers and so does energy cost.
- A cool roof will make spaces that are not air conditioned comfortable.
- Global warming is a concern and by using a cool roof system, your carbon footprint is reduced.
- By using a sun reflective paint if you choose to convert your standard roof into a cool roof, you are able to protect and extend the life of you roof, and slows the aging process.
SaveCal can compute the cost of converting a standard roof or installing a new one, provide you with more information about the pros and cons of each option, and calculate savings you will benefit.
Reducing Energy Costs with a Cool Roof Paint
A cool roof is designed to…
-reflect more sunlight
-absorb less heat
-reduce energy costs
-decreasing air conditioning needs
-lengthen the life of your air conditioning unit by using it less frequently.
Rebates & Incentives available for Cool Roof installations.
Improve indoor comfort for spaces that are not air conditioned.
The cool roof coating can reduce the temperature of a roof by up to 60 Degrees. Resulting in lowering interior temperatures and energy costs.
Reduce your carbon footprint and do your part with Global Warming.
Benefits to your Home with Sun Reflective Paint
Protect and Extend the life of your existing roof.
Reflects UV Rays (#1 Destroyer of Roofs) – The cool roof coating helps to protect the roof from heat and UV rays greatly reducing the aging process.
Reduce solar heat transfer to the building.
- No Upfront Cost
- Increased property value
- Variety of Easy Affordable Financing Programs
- All Credit Scores are Welcome!
- No Payments Until December 2018 for Qualified Applicants*
- Low Monthly Fees
- Go Green and Save Green!
- Zero Down Financing Available!
Fill out the form below to schedule a FREE in-home consultation
* These fields are required.